Whether you've purchased a copier or have a copier rental in your office, chances are you have one. And chances are you've run into a problem with your copier, from a paper jam to wasting money to something more extensive. In the event you do have a problem there are a few things to keep in mind before calling in a technician. Here are some tips on fixing those problems, preventing those problems, and getting the most from your copier.
1. Keep moisture out of your paper. Moisture can cause your paper to jam, so you'll always want to reseal a package when you don't use the entire thing. If you're unable to reseal, keep the paper in a ziplock bag.
2. Paper left in your copier over the weekend and holidays will gather moisture. Replace it on Monday and put old stuff in your printer.
3. If you do get a paper jam, make sure you fix it completely. If you don't fix it properly and completely, chances are you're going to have another paper jam on your hands very soon.
4. Leave your copier on 24/7. In today's "green" world, most technology has a power-saving mode and when left alone for a certain period of time, the machine will power down into that mode. Warming the machine up is quicker when brought out of the energy-saving mode and the continuous warmth may be enough to save your paper from excess moisture.
5. Use high-quality paper. The cheaper the paper, the more likely it is to jam and the worse the finished product will look.
6. When you load paper, don't bend or tear the edges. If you do this, you're setting yourself up for a paper jam.
7. Make sure you are using the right toner for the model of copier you have. Using the wrong kind can cause mechanical problems and make your warranty obsolete.
8. Order multiple toner cartridges at one time. You'll save money on shipping, as well as always have extra around when you run out.
9. Never use anything but your hands to remove a paper jam. If you scratch the wrong parts, it will show up on your copied documents.
10. When you remove jammed paper, make sure you recover all pieces, even tiny fragments.
11. Try to keep at least one employee knowledgeable and up-to-date on your copier. Have him or her trained in operation and maintenance of the copier and let removing jams, changing paper and toner be their job.
12. Only make one copy at a time until you've found the perfect settings. So much paper and toner is wasted because someone assumes they've put in the right settings and doesn't test it by making just one copy of a document, instead of 100.
Looking for a Copier Rental to help with your next big project? Call 800-736-8772 today and ask about our Office Equipment Rentals.